top of page


  • Marriage Certificate: 

Registry extract certifying that the marriage is still registered that is not older than 3 months/90 days at the time of presenting the application. In case of applying for the spouse of an EU citizen, in some cases, the marriage has to first be registered in the EU citizen's country of origin.

The marriage certificate has to be legalised and translated.

  • Police Clearance Certificate / Criminal Records Certificate:

Certificate to be presented for every country the applicant has lived in during the past 5 years. It cannot be older than 3 months/90 days at the moment of presenting the application and should not show any convictions for crimes or misdemeanours recognised as such in Spain.

The police clearance certificate has to be legalised and translated.

  • Medical Certificate:

Certificate to be signed by a recognised and registered physician stating as follows: 

"This certificate verifies that Mr./Ms. ....................................................................................................

is free of drug addiction, mental illness, and does not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions to public health according to the specifications of the International Health Regulations of 2005. These contagious diseases include, but are not limited to smallpox, poliomyelitis by wild polio virus, the human influenza caused by a new subtype of virus and the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), cholera, pneumonic plague, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers (e.g.: Ebola, Lassa, Marburg), West Nile Virus and other illnesses of special importance nationally or regionally (e.g.: Dengue Fever, Rift Valley Fever, and meningococcal disease)."

Depending on the country and Consulate, the certificate has to be legalised and translated. I generally provide a multi-language version to clients in order to avoid translation costs.

  • Sworn translator / certified translator

Every document that is not originally issued in Spanish has to be presented with a translation into Spanish by a sworn / certified translator. This means that generally, with very few exceptions, Spanish Consulates and other authorities will only accept translations prepared, signed and stamped by a translator that is on the UPDATED LIST OF SWORN TRANSLATORS - INTERPRETERS APPOINTED BY THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND COOPERATION. The list is frequently updated. You can find it via the following link: 

  • Notary Public

A Notary Public is a person authorised to perform certain legal formalities, especially to draw up or certify contracts, deeds, and other documents. A document signed before and certified by a Notary Public, for example a power of attorney, becomes a public document. It has been certified by the Notary Public and now is fide digna and serves to prove its content. 

  • Legalisation

The term "legalisation", as used in immigration matters, refers to the certification of a public document in order to prepare it to be used in a different country than that of its issuance. 

All non-EU foreign public documents must first be legalised by the Spanish Consular Office with jurisdiction in the country in which the document was issued or, where applicable, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, except in the case where the document has been apostilled by the competent authority of the issuing country in accordance with the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961.

  • Apostille

The Apostille is a method of legalisation. It is a document or stamp that is affixed to a public document to certify it for use in another country. For countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention, it is sufficient to legalise the documents with the corresponding Apostille. 

bottom of page