top of page
Contract Signature

EU Citizen & Family Member Permits

We can help EU Citizens and their family members in relocating to Spain together! 

EU Citizen & Family Member Applications & All you need to know

If you are an EU citizen, you and your non-EU family members can enjoy the privilege of free movement and residence within the EU. Artemis Law can guide you through the process of obtaining the necessary residence permits, ensuring that you meet all the requirements and comply with the regulations.

Untitled design (32).png

Our Process

In order to obtain the corresponding residence permits (which contain the NIEs, the foreigner identity numbers), any EU citizen, has to register as a resident in Spain, obtaining the (1) EU Registry Certificate. Then, their non-EU family members can apply for their (2) Residence Card as a Family Member of an EU Citizen.

(1) EU Registry Certificate


Any EU citizen who wishes to stay in Spain for more than 3 months has to register and obtain the corresponding certificate which contains their NIE (foreigner identity number).

In order to obtain the EU certificate, the EU citizen has to accredit disposing of sufficient economic means and having the required health insurance coverage. They also have to register with the census ("empadronamiento"), since many offices ask for it.


The process to obtain the EU Registry Certificate is usually quite fast and only requires one appointment during which the thin green card is issued. Depending on the region in Spain where the applicant resides, more than one appointment may be required (for example Zaragoza).

(2) Residence Card for Family Members of EU Citizens


As Family Members of an EU Citizens, non-Eu citizens have the same right to reside in another EU country, as long as they accompany the EU citizen and comply with the requirements. This applies to children, spouses, and also parents of minor EU citizens. 


The EU citizen has to show that they can maintain themselves and any accompanying family members. Furthermore, the whole family has to be covered by a comprehensive health insurance policy or by the Spanish social security.

The Residence Card for Family Members of EU Citizens allows the holder to reside and work in Spain and is initially issued for 5 years. After said five years of residing continuously in Spain, it is possible to apply for permanent residence permits.

Aerial View of City

Member states of the EU and countries part of the treaty on the European economic community​

Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein*, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway*, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland**

 Countries part of the Treaty on the European Economic Space

** Treaty of June 21st, 1999, between the European Community and the Swiss Confederation, on free personal movement

The Requirements

The EU citizen has to show that they have sufficient economic means and can maintain themselves and any accompanying family members. Furthermore, the whole family has to be covered by a comprehensive health insurance policy or Spanish social security.


Additionally, the applicant has to be registered at an address in Spain with the EU citizen and present the corresponding certificate ("empadronamiento") and the family relationship with an EU citizen has to be accredited (usually via marriage, stable couple/civil union certificate or birth certificate). 

It is very important to obtain a recent extract of the marriage certificate and to have it legalised and translated if it is not in Spanish and has not been issued in the EU (in that case, your civil registry should be able to issue a multilingual marriage certificate that does not need to be legalised or translated).


The application can be presented online and a resolution should be issued within 3 months. Once a positive resolution has been received, the applicant has to attend an appointment at the police station in order to apply for their foreigner identity card. This last step can take longer since these appointments are rather difficult to get.

Filling Out a Medical Form

Our commitment to excellence


Our fees for guiding you through the process of obtaining residence permits for EU citizens and their non-EU family members are competitive and transparent. We will provide you with a detailed breakdown of the costs involved in the process.


As strategic partners, we have established relationships with reputable health insurance providers who can offer you comprehensive health insurance policies at preferential rates.


At Artemis Law, we are committed to delivering the highest quality legal services to our clients. We guarantee that our lawyers will provide you with professional, efficient, and personalised legal advice and representation throughout your residence permit application process.


Are you an EU citizen and you wish to relocate to Spain? Do you have any non-EU family members accompanying you? Get in touch!

Taking advantage of your right to free movement can be a complex process, but with the help of our experienced lawyers at Artemis Law, you can achieve obtain your permits and feel supported during the process. Contact us today for a consultation and learn how we can guide you through the legal procedures and requirements to obtain the EU Registry Certificate and the Residence Card for Family Members of EU Citizens.

bottom of page