top of page

UK Citizens and the Non-Lucrative Residence Permit

Are you a UK citizen and do you want to be able to spend more than the currently allowed 90 out of every 180 days in Spain? Many of the UK citizens that I have as clients and that contact me every day have been travelling to Spain all their lives, some even have a property in one of the beautiful holiday destinations that Spain has to offer and find themselves in a rather absurd situation since Brexit: They cannot spend more that 90 days out of every 180 days enjoying their own property. Since the UK has left the EU, UK citizens are considered non-EU citizens and have to abide by the rather strict rules that now apply to them.

There are different options, if you wish to be able to spend more time in Spain and enjoy this beautiful country without counting days.

The most privileged option is the Golden Visa, which allows you to apply for a residence and work permit if you invest at least 500.000 € in property or deposit 1 Mio. € on a Spanish bank account. While this a great pathway toward residency in Spain, not everyone wishes to invest these amounts of money.

The non-lucrative residence permit allows you to reside in Spain for one year, with the option to renew it for 2-year periods. It does not come with a work permit, so you would not be able to register for social security in Spain and you would have to prove that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself as well as full medical insurance cover.

For this permit you would have to prove that you have the following amounts:

  • For the main applicant’s monthly upkeep: 2.316,08 €/month

  • For each accompanying family member: 579,02 €/month

Applications for residence permits and visas are submitted together at the consulate in your country of residence. The administration has 3 months to decide, but it usually acts faster, as it is not a very complicated application.

The advantage of this option is that after the first year it can be modified, allowing you to apply for a work permit while you are already in Spain and without the need to return to your country of origin.

Thus, if you are interested in residing but not working in Spain, the non-lucrative residence permit may be the perfect option for you. You can show the whole amount of economic means for the first year in savings or present bank statements showing a passive income and it would be our pleasure to assist you with finding a great health insurance policy for you.

As a UK citizen residing in the UK, depending on the region you live in, you will apply at the Consulate in Edinburgh, Manchester or London.

Gathering the required documents such as criminal records and marriage certificates and preparing them is rather easy in the UK and we can assist you every step of the way.

During 2022, Artemis Law has accompanied successful applications for the non-lucrative residence permit by individuals and families at the Spanish Consulates in New York, Manchester, Edinburgh, Tel Aviv, Los Angeles, and many more.


bottom of page